Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sports Zen

I promise that I'll get up a non-sports-related post up here sometime tomorrow.
That's tomorrow; now more sports crap.

I'm good... calm... relaxed. Seriously. Yeah, I know that the Cubs are down one in the playoffs, and I know the Bears are sucking with the ferocity of an imploded star, but I'm perfectly at ease. I'm not a religious man; I have reserved all of my faith for Chicago sports.
If a Catholic can stick with the church through multiple endemic child-molestation scandals without abandoning the institution, why can't I believe that the Bears are gonna turn this season around? Because it's not rational? Faith itself is the willful abandonment of reason. Suspension of disbelief is what allows a reader to enjoy fiction, and lets me believe that the Cubs will be the 2007 World Series champions. I'm fine with that.

It may have been the series of cerebral aneurysms I had last week when the Bears allowed 34 points in the 4th quarter against the Lions, or the stroke I suffered last night after Lou pulled Zambrano early and Marmol allowed a lead-off home-run in the 8th, but a wave of calm has washed over me. ...and now (for some reason) I can taste "purple".
I believe that the Cubbies will be able to overcome the D-Bags to advance, and I believe that the Bears are gonna turn it around and finish with a winning record.
That's not naive - That's faith.

4 comments:

edP said...

"If a Catholic can stick with the church through multiple endemic child-molestation scandals without abandoning the institution, why can't I believe that the Bears are gonna turn this season around?"

Now you're talkin' sense.

DC Liar said...

2 & 0. The serpent (in this case, a diamondback) is really testing my faith.

Kim said...

Thanks for the CD, Shooty!
(Are you attending the Amber-show???)

olddogdk said...

Looks like they're down 2, as of last night. Sorry about your church - I mean, your Cubbies.